Yesterday John Smedley (The President of SOE) revealed the first batch of plans regarding H1Z1‘s monetization.
Smedley revealed that they will:
- We will be selling wearables. We felt like this will be a good, fair revenue generator. However – we recognize how important finding wearables in the world is so you’ll be able to find and craft a lot of stuff. We agree that’s something important. We’ve also come up with a pretty awesome idea to let players who kill other players loot stuff. So if a player has a black ski mask and gets killed by another player, that player can wear the ski mask for a few deaths (we have durability in the game. Station Cash wearables won’t degrade at all but when you loot something.. it will degrade. Please note the original player always keeps their SC purchased wearables. This gives the great feeling of whacking some unsuspecting fool who decided to bring a knife to a gun fight.
- We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water… i.e. That’s kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that.
- Nor will we sell boosts that will impact #2.
- Emote Pack – of course we’ll have the basics for free. But we felt like this is another good and fair revenue generator.
- Character slots – feels reasonable.
- Crates – You can find crates sometimes in game. They’re filled with random cool stuff from the store. We’re considering letting you see what’s in them before you buy a key (ala Dota 2.). This idea isn’t fully locked yet.
Smedley also revealed that they will be having another meeting on Thursday to further discuss monetization. He has promised to reveal more later this week.
If you want to find out more about the game and contribute to the discussion, visit the game’s official reddit.